Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Holy Ground

We are blessed to live close by to a lovely diocesan retreat center. It is holy ground for us with much history. I have gone on and given many retreats there with many holy women. Jon and I made our Engaged Encounter weekend there. Our homeschool moms gather there for retreat every summer. I even remember my mother going on retreat at this center when I was a girl. There is a tree planted on the grounds in memory of my grandma.
 
One of my favorite places to go and pray has long been the grotto at the retreat center. Many years ago some friends and I took our children to the grotto to celebrate the Feast of the Assumption.
 
 
 
Well, the grotto was old and crumbling. It had to be torn down. Over the course of the past few years it was completely reconstructed. We were honored to contribute to the effort of building a new grotto.
 
Today, on the Feast of the Holy Rosary, the new grotto was dedicated. The boys and I were privileged to attend the dedication.




 
The new grotto is beautiful! The statue of Mary is exquisite, the stonework is amazing, and there is even a water feature. There are gardens around the grotto planted in honor of a young man from our parish who passed away a few years ago. This will long be a lovely spot for people to come and pray. I know that we will stop there frequently to light a candle, leave some flowers, and say some prayers.
 
The dedication ceremony, presided over by our bishop, was very nice. The rain held off until afterwards. We walked the Stations path and then even got to visit with the Bishop during the reception. It was a great celebration honoring Our Lady on a special Feast day.
 
 
Even though Ray's eyes are closed, I just love this picture of him with his arm around "Mossy Mary."
 
 
 “Say the Holy Rosary. Blessed be that monotony of Hail Mary’s which purifies the monotony of your sins!”
St. Josemaria Escriva
 

No comments:

Post a Comment