Friday, March 26, 2010

Scrapbooking - Part Two

I really like the way I scrapbook now. It is realistic, do-able, and fun for me.

When Ray's "first year calendar" came to an end I didn't want to stop recording something about him each day. So, I purchased a blank calendar and turned it into "Ray's Second Year Calendar." I continued the practice of writing something about him or something he did each day. Then, I used the top part of the page as a scrapbook page for that month. I attached my favorite pictures from that month to the calendar and I put the rest of the pictures in a photo album.

I've continued this process (with both boys) ever since and I'm thrilled with the results. It's easy and fun to flip through the calendars and see the best pictures of the boys and the highlights of each year.

On the cover of each calendar I put a picture from the beginning of the year and the end of the year.

There are always a few extra pages at the end of the calendars. I add a few pieces of their artwork and writing from the year and I make some pages about their birthday celebration.

On the back of each calendar I put professional photos that were taken that year.

The best parts of this system are that it's relatively easy --- one page per month --- and it makes nice keepsakes each year. I don't feel bad for not scrapbooking every detail or making big fancy books. (I do keep other mementos in a big plastic bin for each boy.) Another great feature of this system is that we have an "archive" of sorts. We often check the calendars when trying to remember when things happened.

The drawbacks are that it's hard to find a way to preserve the calendars to last over time and I still have trouble keeping up with the months. (I am several months behind right now... trying to catch up.) I have to be disciplined about writing something every day. Often, I fill in a week at a time. I just write the highlights of what we do each day and/or special accomplishments or developments.

I think that when the boys are old enough to receive their First Communion I will also start a religious/Sacramental scrapbook for them. For now, however, I like the system I have and I hope I can continue it long term. Ideally, as the boys get older, they could fill in their own calendars and post pictures each month as well. I just have to find a way to get them to do it without realizing it's scrapbooking!


Here are some pictures of some of the calendars:






1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of scrapbooking right on the calendar. What a great idea! And don't let anyone tell you that no one will appreciate the scrapbooks. My kids ask me all the time about things we did when they were younger, and also about when I was growing up. I wish I had something concrete they could look at. I do have photos, but it's not the same. I think scrapbooking is an individual thing. My sister and I both scrapbook but we have much different styles. And although they are different (she doesn't put things in order! oye!), I'm sure her books are just as special to her as mine are to me. I even made a scrapbook for my parent's 50th anniversary! So keep on doing what you do so well. Your books WILL be appreciated! ~Mitzi

    ReplyDelete