Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Out of Control?

Well, it's the most wonderful time of the year.... according to a tv commercial. It's back to school shopping time. Obviously, since we homeschool, our back to school shopping is a bit different from many families. We don't have to buy uniforms or stock up on lots of fashionable clothes. We don't have the famous "lists" to take with us to the store.

We don't, however, by any means, get off "cheap." After all, we are planning and purchasing our own curriculum, textbooks, educational resources, etc. And there are always basic supplies that need to be replenished. Right now (with lots of help from my dad and Mary) I'm working on re-arranging and organizing our school room. I'll post on that soon.

However, I just have to share this ad I recently received in the mail -----



 
I feel like an old lady saying this.... but this is just out of control! Locker decorations? Really? Back in my days (a gazillion years ago), our lockers held books and coats and backpacks. On football Friday nights we sometimes had ribbons or homemade signs for band.
 
But now you can BUY locker mirrors, organizers, wallpaper, noteboards, rugs, flowers, lights, and.....
 
 
CHANDELIERS!!!!
 
Don't get me wrong. I love a good glittery chandelier.... but in a locker?????
 
Also, I can't help but notice the lack of many BOOKS in those lockers.
 
I guess those marketing/retail people have found even more ways to eke out even more dollars.... even more ways to make kids feel like they have to have even more stuff.
 
It makes me angry. It really tells a lot about the priorities of our culture.
 
Ok.... down from the soapbox and back to the lesson plans.

1 comment:

  1. I need that glittery chandelier in my closet which is about the size of a locker :-)

    ReplyDelete