Thursday, August 22, 2013

"I Thirst"

"Let anyone who THIRSTS come to ME and DRINK."
John 7:37
 
 
Our homeschooling group has a great tradition of beginning the school year with a retreat for the moms. It's such a wonderful opportunity to get away, re-group, and be filled with grace before beginning the new school year. This year's retreat theme was "I Thirst." We filled the retreat center --- 65 beautiful Catholic homeschool moms came together to pray! We enjoyed a beautiful weekend and came home DRENCHED, QUENCHED, and READY TO ROLL!
 

 
Here's what we found waiting for us in our bedrooms.


We had plenty of lovely drinks to quench our physical thirst....
in addition to the wisdom shared and graces poured out to quench our spiritual thirst.

I doubt that many retreats have a "stroller corral" like ours!
It's awesome to have so many nursing moms bring their babies along for the weekend.

 Our retreat included Adoration, Confession, Benediction, the Rosary, Mass, a talk by a beautiful wise homeschooling mom, a craft, social time, personal prayer time, meals (which we didn't have to cook or clean up after!), and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.




 




 Our speaker reminded us to slow down, be still, and be attentive to God's presence and guidance.... that we must remove ourselves from busy-ness and non-essential distractions in order to be faithful to the mission God has given us. Our true thirst is for Him. And as we strive to quench the thirsts of our spouse and children, we need to make sure that we ourselves are not parched. Just as our bodies need eight glasses of water a day in order to function well and be healthy, so our souls need plenty of Living Water every day. Do we make spiritual activities and prayers an essential part of our day so that we can drink deeply from the Living Water and then give drink to others? When we give water to the thirsty we are engaging in a Corporal Work of Mercy. How can we be more deliberate about quenching the thirst in our souls and those around us?

We were truly inspired and challenged!


We got to design a mug to take home as a keepsake from the retreat.

Thank you, God, for the opportunity to spend this time with my sisters and with you. Please bless us all as we begin this new school year. May we turn to you to quench the longings in our spirits. May we be true to our vocations as evangelizers of your Good News. Amen.



Psalm 63
 
O God, you are my God -
it is you I seek!
For you my body yearns;
for you my soul thirsts,
In a land parched, lifeless,
and without water.
 
I look to you in the sanctuary
to see your power and your glory.
 
For your love is better than life
my lips shall ever praise you!
 
I will bless you as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands, calling on your name.
 
My soul shall be sated as with choice food,
with joyous lips my mouth shall praise you!
 
I think of you upon my bed,
I remember you through the watches of the night.
 
You indeed are my savior,
and in the shadow of your wings I shout for joy.
 
My soul clings fast to you;
your right hand upholds me.
 
But those who seek my life will come to ruin;
they shall go down toe the depths of the netherworld!
 
Those who would hand over my life to the sword
shall become the prey of jackals!
 
But the king shall rejoice in God
all who swear by the Lord shall exalt,
but the mouths of liars will be shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment