Saturday, March 16, 2013

Ray's First Reconciliation

Today was the day for the second graders at our parish to make their First Reconciliation. Ray was very well prepared, but just a bit nervous. We've been preparing for quite a while of course.
 
A few days ago, after we practiced the procedures and prayers for the umpteenth time, Ray reminded me that we needed to do "that heart check thing" (aka "Examination of Conscience). As we worked on his examination of conscience, he wrote a list of his sins. He took it with him and I think he just read them to the priest.
 
He told me that he "nailed the Act of Contrition." Although he had planned to kneel behind the screen, he ended up going face-to-face. I guess I shouldn't post a complete play-by-play of his Confession here... ;) ..... but I am so proud of him. All of a sudden he is so grown up!
 
Afterwards, I asked him if he felt God's love and forgiveness and if he felt happy and free. He said, "Well, I pretty much feel the same. But it was fun. I want to go back everytime they have Confession at Church."  I'm so glad he understands that Confession is an important part of the life of Faith.
 
The BEFORE picture ----
 


Getting a little pre-Confession encouragement from the Holy Family ---



The AFTER picture----


The post-Confession ice cream celebration ----


Thank you God for the gift of the beautiful Sacrament of Reconciliation. Grant us the humility to return to it often so that we may continue our journey with and to you. You are loving and forgiving and we are your thankful, ever-learning children. We praise you, adore you, and return over and over again to your tender embrace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment