Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A "New Room" for Adam!

I can't believe that my baby is six years old! It seems like just a short time ago that I found out I was having a second boy and I was freaking out because our final bedroom had purple carpet. I remember how excited I was to find "boyish" jungle wallpaper that would match with the purple carpet. It makes me laugh now that I thought that was so important. This snapshot of my dad holding Adam as a baby gives a glimpse of the wallpaper and the curtains my mom made to match.


I wish I had taken a picture of how Adam's room looked a few weeks ago. He has his own artistic sense of style. He likes to collect junk. He likes to draw lots of pictures and hang them all over his walls.

Well, we stripped down the walls and took off the wallpaper. Then, Pappy and Mary came in and redid Adam's room as a special birthday gift for him.

I have to admit that I struggled a bit with their plan. We have been dealing with a Mario-obsessed boy.... and we've cut Wii time back to Saturdays only. But the kid LOVES these characters. He draws them and writes stories about them and plays "in Mario world" all day long. So, in the end, I allowed the "Mario room plan" to go forward.

And it turned out really cool.... and I have a very happy six year old boy with a "big boy" bedroom! Check it out ----






The fresh paint job is awesome... and the wall stickers are totally removable (for when/if he outgrows this Mario thing). Thank you Dad and Mary!

Next, we went furniture shopping. Adam never really had a bed... just a mattress and box spring on the floor. Now he has THIS -----



We looked at several bunk options. Adam fell in love with this one because of the drawers and shelves. (My little junk collector!) The double bed below is on casters. We put Ray's mattress on it and for now Ray is sleeping there and they are loving "sharing" a room. When the novelty wears off we'll take the double bed frame and mattress back to Ray's room and Adam will have that extra area for playing. We liked this bed because of the options/flexibility it provides.

Mary finished off the look with the new Mario sheets and blankets. (Thanks!) All we have left to do is have my mom design some curtains. And yes, we still have the purple carpet! ;) And we have two boys who have been sleeping great as well!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday Adam! Very fun room. I'm glad I'm not the only one who puts a mattress on the floor (my MIL told my husband it looked trashy - um, more like safe for when kids are little). And, the Mario thing... We're going through a similar thing, and I think that if it wasn't this, it would be something else. I hope that's it anyway.

    ReplyDelete