Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Days Like These

I clearly remember lots of looooonnnnngggg days when the boys were very young. I remember waking up in the morning and wondering how in the world I would fill the long hours at home with them. I would count the hours and minutes until Jon got home. The boys and I would play with toys, read books, snuggle, watch PBS, sing songs..... all day long. Time seemed to move so slowly. I looked for things to do with them. I lived for naptime and playdates.


Where did those days go? It seems like things changed in a flash. I was thinking about this yesterday when our schedule looked like this:

1. A morning full of homeschooling.
2. Lunchtime --- feed the kids, eat a quick sandwich, make chili and put it in the crockpot.
3. Go to our Monday afternoon co-op class.... set up, teach, clean up.
4. Come home and finish dinner prep. My mom joined us for dinner.
5. Get the boys changed into their appropriate "uniforms/costumes" for the evening.
6. I take Adam to Karate. Jon takes Ray to a Boy Scout Halloween Party.
7. Home. Baths. Put the kids to bed.
8. Return messages and emails.
9. Prepare supplies for today's Boys Club meeting.
10. Collapse into bed and fall asleep in about 13 seconds!

Wow! I'm not complaining at all. It's just so wild to think about how quickly life has changed and how busy we are. I love our life and all the things we're doing. Of course I'm continuing to discern where "the line" is between doing enough and too much. Some days are busier than others.... Mondays are crazy!

I should post a picture of the boys' closets and all the uniforms. Soccer. Karate. Boy Scouts. Throw Halloween costumes into that mix and it's a really interesting wardrobe.

Each stage of life has its own joys and challenges. The older I get, the faster time seems to go and the more I'm trying to cherish each stage. For now, I'm keeping my running shoes on and I'm sure there will be lots and lots more miles put on our van in the next several years.

No comments:

Post a Comment