Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fighting the "February Funk"

I will not succumb to the February Funk.
I will not succumb to the February Funk.
I will not succumb to the February....
I will not succumb....
I will not...

Ah, here we are at the first day of my least favorite month.... the longest shortest month of the year. I could give you a litany of why February is so dreadful.... about the ice that is coating everything outside... about the little boys bouncing off the walls inside.... about painful memories of heartbreak... about germs and dust and general malaise. I could. But I won't.

I am counting my blessings, grateful for a warm house and healthy children and a loving husband and time to think and cuddle and relax and pray. I am TRYING HARD to embrace this time of hibernation... to be OK with downtime... to relax... to listen and learn.

Thank you God for all that you are doing in my heart. Fill us all with your grace in new ways during these cold and quiet winter days. Melt the places that we keep frozen in our hearts. Hold us where it hurts the most. Remind us of your ever-present, ever-faithful love. May we embrace this chilly season with hope, confident that the blossoming of Spring will happen in our minds and hearts as well as in our backyards. We ask this in the name of Jesus, Our Lord and Savior. Amen.

A Litany of FUN February "stuff" we're doing here:

*Talking about trains... preparing to build our first electric train layout.
*Playing lots of games.
*Reading and writing and counting.
*Making Valentine cards and crafts and treats.
*Looking for groundhogs and shadows.
*Feeding birds and squirrels.
*Listening to "Peter and the Wolf" and other fun music.
*Reading "Little House in the Big Woods."
*Making spaghetti and marshmallow structures. (A new favorite pastime!)

 *Sharing our art with our friends at Monday class.

  
*Getting outside as much as possible.



*Eating ice cream for dessert, even though it's freezing outside.
*Singing and dancing and marching around the house.
*Staying in our pajamas all day.
*Discovering new online games for little learners.
*Playing wild games of chase and ball in the basement with daddy.
*Staying up late.... since we won't be going anywhere in the morning!

I hope you're all staying warm and happy. What are you doing to keep these FABULOUS FEBRUARY DAYS fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment