Thursday, February 24, 2011

Happy Birthday Friend!

Nineteen years ago I met the COOLEST lady I know! As a student teacher I was assigned to her third grade classroom. We had a wonderful time teaching together and dreaming up big, crazy projects to do with the children. She loved teaching and loved her students. They had fun everyday. She really became my mentor and role model.

Since then, we have been on many crazy adventures together. Even though she was retired and had raised her own children, she came to service camp with the youth group I led. She drove a great big van (and loved every minute of it), short-sheeted beds, and sang and danced and whooped and hollered a bunch! We've been on holy retreat together several times. "What happens at "Saint Meinrad's stays at Saint Meinrad's"... ;) We've put green stuff and cucumbers on our faces as part of "spa night." (I can't believe I lost that picture.) She gave me my famous "GANGSTA" ring on my 40th birthday. She wears sequins and big fancy rings to lots of special events. Her favorite holiday is Easter, when the "DFEB" comes for a visit! But most significantly, she is a "GOSPEL VALUES" gal!

She tries to appear very refined, but she is a wild and fun lady and I'm so happy to call her my friend. Today she celebrates a BIG birthday! The boys and I blew up a whole bunch of balloons. We went with another friend and surprised the birthday girl. We had a fun little visit, including birthday donuts.

There are some people who really celebrate and enjoy life. They remind us of God's great, wild love for us and the preciousness of each day. Join me today in wishing one of them a happy, happy birthday and many more years filled with blessings, surprises, and fun!

1 comment:

  1. Well said, Katie. I, too, am glad to have met Mary Lou. She is one fun lady! ~Mitzi

    ReplyDelete