Sunday, February 6, 2011

Weekend Retreat


"We have given a year to the body. Let us give days to the soul."
(Painted on the back of Saint Therese Retreat Center chapel.)
I had the great privilege of spending this weekend at one of our diocesan retreat centers with a wonderful group of holy women. I have journeyed with some of these women for many years, since I taught and then was Pastoral Associate at their parish (Saint Philip the Apostle). For the past three years I was honored to lead them in this annual retreat. This year I got to take a break and partake in the rest, relaxation, inspiration, and rejuvenation of the retreat as a participant rather than a leader.


I am very thankful to Jon for watching the boys so I could take this time for physical and spiritual renewal. They had a wonderful time doing "boy stuff" and attending a bowling party with the people from Jon's office. We missed each other, but I think the break was good for all of us.
The retreat schedule
The theme for the retreat was, "The Spiritual Path to Peace" and it was lead by a Dominican Sister. Although the talks were interesting, the most meaningful and grace-filled parts of the retreat for me were:
1. Just having some time and space for quiet and relaxation.

2. Personal prayer in the chapel and in my room. Not rushed or rote. Real prayer.

3. The opportunity to read more of One Thousand Gifts. I continue to be awed and graced by Ann Voskamp's holy wisdom. Almost every page is dog-eared. I am beginning my own journey of recognizing God's grace everywhere and living a life of gratitude.

Saint Therese Retreat Center is a very special place for me, partly because of all the memories it holds. I have been to this holy place many times and with many groups of amazing people. I made a weeklong retreat there as a Dominican novice, Jon and I attended an amazing Engaged Encounter weekend there, and I have led and been on numerous women's retreat weekends. I even have a special room where I like to stay. It is filled with holy memories and I love reflecting each year on the ways God has been faithful through so many changes in my life. Many, many graces have been showered upon me there and many significant insights and decisions have had their beginnings on this holy ground.


The beautiful chapel at the retreat center

The dome above the altar
"And they were all persevering with one mind in prayer with Mary the Mother of Jesus."


As I mentioned, the women in this retreat group are amazing! They are such beautiful witnesses to the love and power of God. Many of these women have been coming on retreat together for DECADES. Each year is like a reunion. They have supported one another through the ups and downs of life, including illnesses and loss of loved ones. I am always amazed by their hospitality, support, love, and JOY. We ALWAYS have fun on this retreat. (When I first came to this group, my primary experience of retreat was with nuns. Let me tell you, this is a very different experience.) We talk. We dance. We do art projects. And for the last two years we've had SPA NIGHT! All of the ladies enjoy facials, manicures, foot soaks, etc. We really take care of our bodies as well as our souls.



Check out my fancy manicure - pink nails with a tiny purple heart on each one!

And so tonight I am thanking God for the graces of a special retreat weekend. It was wonderful! There were so many little things that made it extra special --- little treats and gifts at the dining room table, good food prepared by staff and volunteers, conversations and hugs from holy women. The retreat leader ended by having us each choose a blessing from this wreath:


We blessed one another and went forth rejuvenated to continue our life with Christ and with our families. When I think about some of the emotional sharing and funny escapades that have happened on retreats over the years, part of me wants to declare, "What happens on retreat stays on retreat!" But I know that's not true. What happens in our hearts and minds and souls on retreat nourishes us throughout the year. It strengthens us as disciples and equips us for the life to which we've been called. Thank you Jesus... for all of the graces of this holy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment