Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sweet Anniversary Date Night


Yesterday Jon and I celebrated an anniversary.... It's been 100 months since we got married. We're silly like that. Jon is actually the one who reminds me every month on the 26th that it's our "anniversary." 100 months just felt like a big deal.

We pulled a double surprise on one another. Jon came home from work around 4:00. (It's tax season... so Saturdays are work days.) He brought roses. I acted surprised and asked him what the occasion was. He thought I forgot! When he reminded me what day it was, I told him, "I guess that's why we're going on a date in half an hour!" Early in the week I had arranged for a babysitter. Jon and I were able to go out to a favorite restaurant for a leisurely dinner and a glass of wine. To top it all off, we had a gift card! (Thanks Mom!) We really enjoyed it. I think the element of surprise made it even better than a planned date.

It's hard to believe that Jon and I have known each other for almost ten years already. Time flies when you're having fun... and having kids and working and maintaining a household.... We have another anniversary coming up on Tuesday. March 1st is the day that Jon proposed to me, using a great big box of "gifts" to "pop the question." It contained something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue... and a bag of carrots (as a joke... play on the word "karats).... and a beautiful diamond ring.

Sometimes I still can't believe how God brought us together at exactly the right time... after many years of discernment, heartbreak and loneliness for both of us. I still thank God for the gift of Jon. We continue to learn and practice how to love one another faithfully and fully. Marriage is truly an awesome and challenging adventure. It is our vocation to love one another and allow our love to mirror God's love, to reflect God's love to our children and to all we meet. In these days when the Sacrament and vocation of marriage is being more and more disparaged and desecrated, the call to marriage feels like a radical challenge. Yes, it can be difficult and full of sacrifices, but it's also grace-filled and joyous and intimate and fulfilling. I pray tonight for all marriages. May all married people tap into the lavish graces of the Sacrament so that they may live faithfully and fully their commitment of love, especially during the times that may feel dry, difficult, boring, lonely, or tiresome. May we remember God's faithfulness and may we have the courage to love our spouse through all of life's ups and downs.

It may seem silly to celebrate 100 months of marriage, but it's little things like that that help keep our relationship going. Day by day, month by month, year by year.... it's the adventure of a lifetime!

1 comment: