Saturday, January 12, 2013

Friendly Reminder

From Seasons of A Mother's Heart by Sally Clarkson --

"The only way to make it in this homeschooling life is to reach for God instead of for happiness... Contentedness will not come from being more organized, sleeping longer, being a better wife, keeping a nicer home, using higher-quality materials, taking more time for yourself, or whatever it is you think might help. Contentedness is learned by accepting life each day as God gives it to you, and adjusting your expectations to life's limitations."

I'm pretty sure I've posted this quote before. It hangs above my desk and I try to re-read it often. Of course it can apply to all of us... not just homeschool moms. It's a lesson that takes many of us a lifetime to learn. I was reminded of it while chatting with a friend today.

It seems that this time of year -- when the Christmas decorations come down -- we all want to get things cleaned up, organized, re-arranged. I spent the afternoon putting away Christmas decorations and re-arranging kitchen cupboards. But I thoroughly enjoyed listening to some awesome inspirational music while doing it.

Also at this point in the year we're trying to hit the books hard and make lots of headway academically. I have to continually remind myself that happiness and true learning do not come from having everything in my plan book checked off and completed.

Contentedness. It's a good January word, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment