Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Spectacular Epiphany Celebration!

 I can't believe it's taken me this long to post about our awesome celebration of the Epiphany. I must say that this year was my favorite Epiphany ever! It was the kind of celebration of the liturgical year that I have dreamed of and totally want for our family. We can't celebrate EVERY feast this big and our good intentions and plans don't always work out. But this one did!

Let me begin by telling you about a little friend of ours. I'll call her "E."


 
 
E is a first grader. We met E and her family when I took Ray and Adam (as toddlers) to a Mommy and Me program at church. We've all been great friends ever since.
 
E is a very special, spiritual little lady. This school year she decided to start a "Prayer Squad." She and her dad make up a prayer calendar each month and distribute it to the Prayer Squad members. E chooses a prayer for all of us to pray each day. Sometimes she writes the prayers herself. She also collects special prayer intentions and puts them on the calendar. Isn't that cool?
 
Well, E and her family invited the Prayer Squad members and their families to an Epiphany Party.


 
We were asked to bring three gifts, representing the three gifts of the Wise Men. These gifts, however, were to be donations for the food pantry.
 

 The children decorated and donned crowns, of course.


 I love E's little sister -- my God-daughter -- in this pose. She's a very serious and dramatic member of the Modern Magi.

We played some very fun games, including a "Star Hunt" and  "Pin the Crown on the King."
 

 

 We sang "We Three Kings" and participated in a house blessing and procession.


 We enjoyed a yummy meal, including King Cake!


And we made these great door hangings to take home.

 
As we left we received a beautiful liturgical calendar too!
 
What an awesome way to celebrate this great feast! I just love sharing our faith with our friends. And gatherings like these make our faith so fun and real for the kids.... and for the adults as well.
 
Thank you God for our faith family, for the Holy Church... loving and serving you together. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment