Friday, August 6, 2010

Fabulous FORTY Festivities!

Despite my mixed emotions about turning 40, I did have a great time celebrating this landmark birthday.

I already mentioned the pre-birthday festivities of a party with my dad and some of his family and then a fun day out with my pal Susan. By the time my birthday arrived on Sunday I felt like I had already been celebrating for weeks!

As soon as I woke up that morning, the boys were very excited for me to open the presents and cards they had for me. I had asked them to pick out earrings for me, so I was shocked to see a WHOLE STACK of wrapped boxes. The first boxes I opened were indeed beautiful earrings. As I was opening Adam's, he dramatically assured me that he picked out the most beautiful ones in the store. I love them! Then I opened an anti-virus program, a wireless router, a wireless card, and a monitor. The boys were going crazy as I reacted to each one and told them they'd have to take them back because I don't have a new computer to go with them.

Of course, the big surprise was in the last box..... a new computer! I've been wanting a second computer for a long time so that I can be online and do other computer tasks downstairs, without having to come up to our office. I was so shocked that Jon and the boys pulled this off!


Here's Ray's photo documentation of the great big kiss and hug I gave Jon after opening the computer!

Several months ago my sisters and my mom asked me how I'd like to celebrate my 40th birthday and I joked that I wanted to have a disco dance. Well, that's exactly what we decided to do. Maybe it's because I was born in 1970.... It's not so much disco music that I love, but rather disco balls, glitter, sequins, sparkle! I am a GREAT disco dancer too! ;) (I really would love to find a disco ball header for this blog! Maybe I'll do a post about my "theology of the disco ball" someday soon.) Anyway, we invited family and friends to "get their sparkle on" and come for an afternoon of dancing and fun!

We gave everyone some "sparkle" as they arrived! We had lots of fun dancing. Hokey Pokey.... Chicken Dance.... Electric Slide....
Mikey was definitely the dance champion of the day, especially when we played some Michael Jackson songs!We enjoyed yummy cupcakes made by a friend of my sister. A family friend also brought a popcorn machine that was a big hit! EVERYONE had fun playing BINGO! (Such an old lady... and Catholic... thing to do!) Jon did a great job as the caller. We had fabulous prizes for all ages!We even had Confessions under the disco ball decoration! JUST KIDDING... but it totally looks like it! I was so happy to have my friends Father Leo and Mary Lou and Dan among the guests.Adam and his buddy Ryan... Party Animals!My mom and me. I'm so thankful for forty years of love and support.Jon and me. Check out all of our "bling!"Some sweet young friends, Maggie and Libby.My sister Reenie and her husband Mike. (I don't know how I didn't get a picture of my other sister Colleen! She was there, even though her son Carter was sick and missed the fun.)My niece Ava, Billy, Ethel, MikeHere's the sparkliest gift I received! Love it! Although I asked guests not to bring gifts, I did receive my fair share of "old lady gag gifts" .... including this game of "Old Maid" which I've had to play 642 times with Ray this week. My mom got me the awesome Vera Bradley purse!
Thanks so much to everyone who made this such a fun and memorable celebration! So far, 40 is pretty great!

No comments:

Post a Comment