Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Creeking



We had a totally terrific Tuesday morning! It was a day for which the boys have been waiting a long time. We went creeking.

There is a local park which we've visited many times. We walk on a path through the woods and come to a creek bed full of rocks. Every time we have gone there I have spent the whole time shrieking, "Don't go in the water.... Move back.... Be careful.... Don't get wet!"

Not today.

My dad and his wife are visiting us from South Carolina. They made up little "creeking kits" for the boys and bought them beginner fishing poles. We slathered on the sunscreen and put on our velcro sandals and headed to the creek bed.

We had a wonderful time! I kept my "Ooooh... there's algae on the rocks" to a minimum and I even waded around in the water quite a bit. The boys were in heaven. They absolutely loved wading in the water and looking for animals, rocks, shells, and other treasures. They used their magnifying glasses and nets and clear specimen cups. They collected treasures on the lids of their clear boxes. Ray really enjoyed rearranging a line of large rocks and changing the flow of the water. Adam spent his time catching crawfish, a toad, and a wormy slug thing.





Pappy taught both boys how to cast and fish. They caught one small fish. We threw it back in of course!


It really was a fun experience. I kept thinking that this is what boys (all children I guess) really need to do. They need to be free to explore this wonderful world. I still laugh about the fact that God gave me these two adventurous boys. I know my comfort zone will continue to be stretched and I will learn so much right along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment