Monday, July 19, 2010

"MM" - New Support Group

As I was reflecting on yesterday's Gospel reading, the classic Mary/Martha story that always prickles me and reminds me that I STILL haven't changed my ways.... I decided I should be in the "Martha, Martha" support group. It's like AA, but for all of us do-do-doers. I'll have to stand up and say, "My name is Katie and I'm a Martha." And then everyone will say, "Hi Katie." And then I can list all of the things I've done in the past week, all of the tasks I've checked off my list. Then I'll have to grapple with the reality that once again I haven't spent much time at the feet of Jesus listening to him. I'll be challenged and supported as I make a weekly resolution to do better. Of course those meetings would be FULL, especially of us Mom-types I guess. And everyone would volunteer to set up, clean up, bring snacks, etc. I suppose what we should really do at the meetings is just force each other to sit in silence.

All joking aside, I really am a Martha. I even named my most cherished doll "Martha" when I was a child. It's not that I don't pray. It's not that I don't love Jesus. It's just that there are so many things to do. There are so many things I WANT to do. I always have good intentions of REALLY praying when I get everything else done. We all know how well that works.

The thing that made me feel disgruntled when I heard the reading THIS TIME is the thought that Martha probably wanted to get dinner on the table so THEN she could relax and enjoy being with Jesus for the rest of the evening. Right? If Mary would have helped they could have gotten the work done faster and THEN listened to Jesus. Right?

I know.... I'm missing the point and trying to justify my thinking and behavior. Again I'm praying for the grace to open my heart and quiet my mind and body so I can be fully present in prayer. I am praying to let go of crazy agendas and never-ending lists of tasks so that I can "be about" what's really important.

I highly recommend two books by Joanna Weaver. They are Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World and Having a Mary Spirit. I've read them and loved them. I just pulled them off my shelf and am going to re-read and be reminded of the call for balance and stillness. One of my favorite stories in the first book is about a person who answers God's call to haul three stones to the top of a mountain. She is thrilled to be doing the work of God. She sets out with gusto. Along the way, however, she picks up more and more rocks and pebbles - on her own and as favors to others - until the load is too much of a burden. She must learn the lesson that God only asked her to carry three stones. If she had listened to God and not added her own weight, the "yoke" would have been easy and the burden light.

And so on this hot summer day let's make sure we all sit at the feet of Jesus for a while and drink deeply of his grace.

1 comment:

  1. Can I join the club? And can I borrow those books when your done rereading? I have heard of them but not got around to reading them. Your blog continues to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete