Sunday, August 7, 2011

"Unplugged Week"

Don't bother checking in here for the next week.... We have declared this "unplugged week" around here. We started today. (I just snuck up here to do this post... hope I don't get caught!)  The boys (and I) have gotten way too lazy this summer about watching TV at all times of the day. AND the boys have begun to develop quite the video game habit. (That's in their genes from their dad!) So, we returned the old Nintendo game to my dad. (We don't have a Wii or anything --- that would be too tempting for all of the males in the house at this point.) We literally unplugged the TV's and we're shutting down the computers.

Needless to say, this has been a less than popular move. We sat down and had a family meeting and explained why we're doing this. We want to clear out all our brains... drink in the fun of summer... do some other games and activities as a family... get some chores done around here... and get ready for school. I've brainstormed a whole list of projects, chores, activities, and field trips that we can do this week.

The boys whined a bit this morning, but I think we'll get into a groove and not even miss our electronic distractions. Our plan after this week is to adopt the strategy my friend Becky uses with her family -- "No TV or computer until 3:00." That way we can complete school and chores before fighting the TV/computer battle each day. They can watch and play during that crazy time of day when I'm tired and fixing dinner. Then our evenings will be free for other things.

So, I'll let you know how it goes. I'll post some pictures and reports from the week next Sunday. Have a great week!

** I will be checking my email, but only once a day! So, if you need to get in touch with me, be a bit patient or pick up the phone. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment