Friday, April 8, 2011

Some School Updates

Over the past few weeks Adam has kicked into "serious school mode." He has really discovered a love of learning and he wants to "do school" A LOT lately. I am usually very happy about this, except when he wakes me up with his math book in hand wanting some instructions AND when it's bedtime and he's begging me to stay up a little longer and do more schoolwork. It is exciting to see his enthusiasm, growing confidence, and diligent work. He concentrates intensely and is so proud of his work. He has declared that he is now a Kindergartener (since he's almost halfway through the K Math book already I guess).

We recently completed a unit about recycling and conservation. Adam really got into it! We now have to take bags with us and walk around the neighborhood picking up trash. (Fun!) Here he is coloring a page for the recycling poster we made:


Check out this coloring! Pretty good for a four year old, huh?

Here's Adam hard at work on a Fables project. I've been reading Aesop's Fables to the boys and then they've been copying down the morals and illustrating the fables. Adam is REALLY into this!


Ray is also making good progress with school. He's reading better and better each week. He's working more independently. I am amazed at the things he's asking and figuring out. He is at a point where he is LOVING our Monday co-op classes and Friday Montessori and Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. Here's Ray with his COMPLETED Kindergarten Math book!

Earlier this week I saw a large sign posted in our community announcing Kindergarten Registration for next year.  As we drove past it I asked the boys how they like homeschooling and if they wish they were going to "regular school." They both said that they love homeschooling. Adam said, "No way am I going to THAT Kindergarten. I'm with you!" After a few minutes, Ray proclaimed (in his signature logical style), "Well, I might as well face the facts and just go to school. I'm going to have to go eventually anyway." I played it low-key and just said, "Really?" He replied, "Well, you said you won't do homeschool college so what's the use of doing first grade?" That's my Ray! But for now I'm making plans for another year of homeschooling. I'm so thankful for the privilege of teaching and learning with my boys at home.



1 comment:

  1. Great job! We are also doing an Aesop notebook, kids love it! We read the story and they narrate. They also do copywork for the moral and draw a picture of the story- lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete