Friday, March 25, 2011

"DCAA" - Diet Coke Addicts Anonymous

A little update on last month's post about giving up Diet Coke....

I am THILLED to report that I have been Diet-Coke-Free for well over a month now! I haven't had a drop of that chemical concoction that used to be the elixir of life for me. It took almost three weeks for me to really go through the withdrawal. But now I don't even think about the stuff or want it at all. There was one day last week when I was really dragging in the afternoon and suffering from the dreaded PMS. I knew a Diet Coke would help tremendously. I finally compromised and I drank a can of regular Coke (which I really never liked before). It tasted good. It did the trick. But that was it. I haven't wanted another one at all.

At this point I'm really focusing on staying away from aspartame. I am drinking water, iced tea, sparkling water, and some Sobe and Vitamin Waters. It feels like a whole new life!

My sister Reenie has also gone through the withdrawal and is with me in the recovery process. ;) We bought each other keychains to commemorate our one-month victories! We're planning to get spa treatments when we hit six months!



And so now we consider ourselves part of DCAA - "Diet Coke Addicts Anonymous".... except for the anonymous part I guess. ;) I don't mean to make light of AA and the monumental challenges that alcoholics face. But this has been a big victory for us and a very positive change in our lives. And someone did recently tell me that research has shown that the addiction to Diet Coke involves the same parts of the brain as the addiction to cocaine. Yikes! I'm just glad to have support and encouragement as I try to take steps toward better health.

And I love my purple keychain that flashes my name in lights! Very fancy! Thanks Reen!


No comments:

Post a Comment