Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Sophisticated" Palates?

After a few days of general "punkiness" around here, we're all feeling much better. However, now we're socked in with a snow storm. We've been catching up on some school work and house work.

Last night I tried a new recipe and cooked a very yummy turkey and spinach lasagna. It was delicious! Both boys looked at it and declared it "disgusting." Getting them to eat just a few bites was like engaging in a war of wills. Tonight I made scalloped potatoes and ham. Again, quite tasty. Again, absolute war! They declared their disgust as soon as they came to the table. They were a united front in their disdain.

What is this? My boys have always been good eaters. They like a variety of foods. I've never been one to cook multiple meals to please everyone. I refuse to become a short-order cook. Apparently we've entered a new phase. Their palates have become resistant to my cooking.

Ray would eat mac and cheese at every meal if I let him. Adam is always thrilled with peanut butter and jelly. Why is it that they would prefer cereal, chicken nuggets, or grilled cheese to a good home-cooked meal?

I'm not sure how to handle the fact that these little people who eat snow, snot, and crumbs off the floor turn up their noses at my cooking!

Nothing can truly prepare a woman for the vocation of motherhood. It requires daily herculean feats of endurance, humility, and cleverness.

Tomorrow.... leftovers from the fridge, PB+J, whatever! I'm going out with friends! Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment