Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saint Doll Exchange

I really think one of the most awesome things about being Catholic is the Saints. I just love learning about the Saints and praying for their Intercession. I'm thrilled that the boys are falling in love with the Saints as well. This school year we have focused on one saint per month. reading his/her story, praying for intercession, adding them to our liturgical binders, and posting pictures in our classroom. The boys came up with the idea that next year we should have a "Saint of the Week" and have one for each letter of the alphabet. Woo hoo! Little do they know I'm going to have them reading and writing about each one in a saint journal.
 
This week I participated in another saint doll exchange with my homeschooling group. I really enjoyed painting my dolls. I painted Saint Zita, who was a housekeeper and lover of the poor, and Saint Josemaria Escriva, who founded Opus Dei and promoted the teaching that everyone is called to holiness. It's so spiritually enriching to learn about new saints and meditate upon their lives and teachings while trying to make dolls that convey who they were and how they lived.
 


Saint Zita


Saint Josemaria Escriva
 
Holy friends. I love these ladies!

These are the saints I ended up with this time.
(I painted 20 to swap and chose to share several of mine with a friend who wasn't able to participate.
I also purchased a few extra from a friend who was selling some that she made.)


St. Zita, St. Josemaria, Our Lady of Czestochowa, St. Benedict, Our Lady of Grace

St. John the Baptist, St. Cecilia, St. Pier Giorgio, Our Lady of Knock, St. Damien of Molokai

Blessed Imelda, St. Stephen, St. Joan of Arc

At the exchanges we always enjoy displaying all the saints and learning about them from one another.


 
All you holy men and women, pray for us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment