Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Holy Hour, Holy Family


This evening we had the privilege of attending "Holy Hour, Holy Family" at our parish. We gathered with other families for some catechesis (in different age groups) and then went together to Adoration and Benediction. It was a beautiful experience... and one that we all needed today.

Jon had a super busy and stressful day at work, but he broke away to spend time in prayer with us. Today was not a beautiful, smooth day in our homeschool. We were tired and frustrated with one another. But we all came to Jesus together. And Jesus filled us with peace and joy.
 
Adam's coloring page

The theme for tonight's catechesis was "The Names of Jesus." We talked about Philippians 2:10: "At the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father." Each of us made a card showing one of our favorite names of Jesus. We processed into Church and placed those cards at the base of the altar.... offering our prayers to Jesus present in the monstrance.

Ray's coloring page
As I knelt and prayed with my family, I was thinking about the fact that I didn't experience this as a child. Adoration just wasn't happening in the immediate post-Vatican II Church. We knew God loved us. We sang a lot of songs. But we didn't have the awesome experience of adoring Jesus so present to us on the altar. I am so very happy that my boys (and Jon and I) are experiencing and appreciating this beautiful practice now.

At the end of Benediction, Adam turned to me and exclaimed, "That was so fun and so holy!" I'm embarrassed to admit that my mind immediately started wondering if he was trying to con something out of me or just make me less angry with him than I was this afternoon. But there was something so beautiful and innocent and real about his comment. In the van on the way home he told  me that Jesus told him that He wants him to grow into a really good Catholic holy man. I choose to believe that his comments and experience were real and deep. Nothing could make me happier than my boys loving Jesus.

On a lighter note.... as we were eating lunch today I surreptitiously worked in a conversation about Pope Benedict's impending retirement and the upcoming conclave. Ray chimed in that if he ever becomes Pope he will choose the name "Nicholas." Adam ---- get ready for it ---- exclaimed that he hopes one day he'll be ....... "Pope MARIO!" Then Ray began chanting some kind of Mario Brothers music and Adam jumped up and started parading around with his hands folded. Of course I laughed as I was shaking my head.  There's a pretty funny picture on Google*images* .... a drawing of a "Pope Mario." But it was just too irreverent for me to post here. Check it out if you dare! Somehow I just can't imagine a video-game-playing-Pope.... but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment