Sunday, July 6, 2014

Remembering a Kind and Generous Sister, Kay

Kay with Adam
June 2006
 
Last week Jon's oldest sister passed away. Kay had been fighting cancer for a few years. In the end it was all through her body and it took her away from us much too soon. She was 60 years old.
 
Kay was a very generous person. She never had children of her own, but she loved and helped many other children (as well as many adults). She was kind and joy-filled. She loved cats, especially her cat "Peaches" who died a few years ago. Every year around my birthday I received a box  from QVC. It was always something special sent by Kay. She loved talking with and reading to the boys and over the years she gave them many really cool gifts.
 
Kay retired from the Michigan Department of Liquor Control a few years ago. She worked hard all her life and is remembered fondly by many co-workers and friends who attended her funeral.
 
We just returned home from a weekend in Michigan. It was nice to be together with almost all of Jon's family, but it was certainly a sad time for us. We had a beautiful funeral Mass and luncheon and then attended the burial of her ashes. It's difficult to believe that she's gone. We are glad that she is no longer sick and suffering. Through an almost miraculous turn of events she was able to be anointed in her last hours. We trust God's love and mercy and His divine plan for her and for all of us. But we are still sad. God did truly work and give grace to all of the family in the last days and hours and we are truly grateful.
 
Please pray for the repose of Kay's soul, for her family and friends, for her friend Richard, and especially for her mom. May we all know her peace and her prayers for us as well.
 
Many thanks to all who have been praying and who sent flowers and well wishes. It is all much appreciated.
 
Some favorite pictures of Kay ----
 
 
She loved cuddling up with the kids and reading with them.

She gave the BEST gifts.
This race track was a favorite for a long time.

Jon, his five sisters, and his mom a few years ago at Christmas

Kay this past Christmas.
She loved the funny gifts we gave her to celebrate her 60th birthday!

Kay with Ray in 2005.


Kay dancing with Emmett at Mary Lou's wedding.

Reading again with Ray... late 2005.

Me with all the sisters and nieces Addie and Shannon.... several years ago.
This poem was printed on the back of the funeral cards and it says exactly what Kay wished for us...

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free,
I'm following paths God made for me
I took his hand I heard him call
Then turned, and bid farewell to all.
 
I could not stay another day
To laugh, to love, to sing, to play
Tasks left undone must stay that way
I found my peace... at close of day.
 
And if my parting left a void
Then fill it with remembered joy
A friendship shared, a laugh, a kiss
Ah yes, these things I too will miss.
 
Be not burdened deep with sorrow
I wish you sunshine of tomorrow
My life's been full I've savored much
Good friends, good times, a loved one's touch.
 
Perhaps my time seemed all too brief
Don't lengthen it now with grief
Lift up your hearts and share with me,
God wants me now. He set me free.
 
 
Rest in peace, Kay. I love you and miss you already.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss, she looks like wonderful woman who will be greatly missed.

    ReplyDelete