Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Advent Musings


Hello. Yes... I'm still here. I'm not sure how many of you are still reading! Thanks for your patience. In the past few days I've had two friends ask when I'm going to post again and I had another friend on my doorstep checking if I was still alive. ;) It's reassuring to know you care!

I would love to say that I've been spending all my free time in peaceful, meaningful Advent prayer.... preparing my heart for the celebration of the Incarnation. Although I HAVE tried to focus more on prayer and we've been practicing our Advent traditions of lighting the Advent wreath, reading the Old Testament and decorating the Jesse Tree, and singing the O Antiphons..... the truth of the matter is that I have been struggling (as so many of us do this time of year) with keeping up with all of the hype and hoopla. The days and evenings have just been SO busy and I've been collapsing into bed (later than I should) with to-do lists still running through my head. (Yes mom.... I know. I'm crazy and I bring it on myself.)

So, unfortunately, there just hasn't been time for blogging (or even reading other blogs) lately. However, sitting by my computer is a list of SEVERAL posts I've been wanting to write. Stay tuned.... You're going to need to allocate lots of reading time during the week after Christmas!

These final days before Christmas will be filled with visits, parties, preparations, etc. But in the meantime I would like to share a few little inspirational "snippets" that have stayed with me throughout this hectic Advent season ---

First, from an article in this month's *Catholic*Digest* (which, by the way, has merged with the former *Faith*and*Family* magazine and is really great).... There is an article there called "Eyes*on*your*own*Nativity" by Kelly Dolin. Her advice - "Keep your eyes on your own Nativity" - is AWESOME! Dolin reminded me to relax and focus on my own family... on the ways we are growing in faith and the ways Jesus wants to be born again in our hearts. She reminded me that it doesn't matter if the details of the celebrations are perfect and that there are many Christmases in our lives. Each will be different. There is something so freeing about that perspective. I've really been praying for God's help to keep me truly present to my family members and their needs. I've been more confident in my choices about how to spend my time and efforts as I've prepared for the holidays.

I also have taken comfort in being reminded by a few other bloggers and friends that Christmas is a full 12 day season. The frenzy to have every cookie baked, craft completed, gift given, and carol sung by December 25th is ridiculous. This year I'm planning to bake, craft, give, and sing all the way through Epiphany! And I plan to enjoy it all with my family and friends.

So, my friends, may you enjoy these final beautiful days of Advent. "O Come Emmanuel... come into our hearts with your peace, hope, and love. Find us ready and waiting for the gifts you have prepared for us. Make us open to receive your grace in new ways. May we celebrate your birth with great joy and exuberant praise. You are the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Root of Jesse, Radiant Dawn... and we love you. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment