Friday, December 24, 2010

Hearts Full of Grace

Earlier this week our parish had Exposition and the opportunity to celebrate the Sacrament of Reconciliation before Christmas. At dinner that night Jon and I explained to the boys that we'd be going to church for a little bit. We had taken them for brief visits to the Blessed Sacrament before, but this was the first time we talked with them about Confession.

After hearing a bit about it, Ray very matter-of-factly said, "I'm doing it too." No questions. No fear. He said, "I want to have my sins forgiven too." I asked him what sins he had to confess and, without skipping a beat, he said, "Well you know I don't always obey right away... and sometimes I'm not nice to my brother."

I tried to tell him that he's not old enough for the Sacrament yet and that he could just pray quietly in church. But he was insistent. I agreed that he could ask Father for a blessing, but I figured he'd chicken out when we got to church.

I was wrong. When we got to church, Adam very quietly drew pictures in a notebook. Ray was fascinated by the whole experience. He watched people in line for Confession. He watched Daddy go up and return and then he took me by the hand and practically dragged me to the line.

We went to our Associate Pastor and he was absolutely wonderful with Ray. I explained that Ray wasn't old enough yet, but that he wanted a blessing from Father. Ray said, "I want you to forgive my sins." Father extended his hands and gave Ray a blessing and Ray beamed with happiness and made the Sign of the Cross. It was a beautiful moment! (Ray was prepared to tell Father his sins, but he didn't seem to mind that Father never asked.)

Then Ray returned to the pew with Daddy and Adam and I went to Confession. When I got back to the pew, Ray was still beaming. I knelt down to say my Penance and Ray's curiosity continued. He asked what I was doing and why he didn't get a Penance. He knelt down and said three Our Fathers right along with me.

When we got to the vestibule and were putting on our coats, Adam informed me that he heard an angel tell him that the gates of heaven are open for him. I was beginning to get a bit freaked out about the supreme holiness of my children. Then I asked Adam what the angel meant and he said, "It means Santa is coming soon. Santa lives right next door to the angel." Ok... back to reality.

So, Ray essentially made his First Confession. It was a beautiful evening.... my favorite Advent moment. I was thrilled to know that they are truly "getting it." They have relationships with God --- outside of my coaching or control. They long for holiness. I learn as much from them as they do from me. We are on a journey toward heaven together.

No comments:

Post a Comment