Sunday, December 26, 2010

Blessed Feast of the Holy Family


Family Prayer To The Holy Family

O Heavenly Father, our loving God,

you have given us the Holy Family

as our patron to bless and guide our families

that the fruit of the Holy Spirit -

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,

faithfulness, humility, and self-control -

shall reign in our homes.

As husbands and wives, teach us to love our spouses more than ever.


As parents, give us wisdom and knowledge in rearing our offsprings

to be responsible and successful Christians forever.


As brothers and sisters, may we learn to care and support for one another

and be of inspiration to each other.


As children, teach us to be obedient

just as Jesus showed obedience and respect to Mary and Joseph.

As Christians, melt us, mold us, fill us, and use us,

in spreading the good news in our community

that they may see Christ in us.


When trials come, help us to face them with trusting faith

and confidently hope that all things work for good for those who love God.


May we have a happy holy family forever

through Jesus, Mary, and Joseph,

our miraculous patron, the adorable Holy Family.

Amen.

(Submitted to Catholic Payers by Romeo (boyeT) T. Santianoon February 19, 2000
http://www.yenra.com/catholic/prayers/family-prayer-to-the-holy-family.html)


How great it is that immediately after the celebration of Christmas Day we are now celebrating the Feast of the Holy Family. Jesus wasn't "plopped down to Earth" on a solo mission. He was born into a human family. He too experienced the joys and challenges of living and learning and loving as part of a family. His family is a model for us. Jesus, Mary and Joseph inspire us and also intercede for us in our daily family life.


The hoopla and expectations of Christmas celebrations can bring out the best and worst family dynamics. We love to be with our immediate and extended families, but so much togetherness can also bring out tensions of all sorts. But today --- as we clean up wrapping paper and exhale from the hustle and bustle of preparations and celebrations ---- we enter more deeply into the Season of Christmas.


For our little family this has been a day of playing and relaxing together. We cleaned up a bit, played with new toys, watched a movie, went to Mass, went out to dinner. We were able to be together in a less hurried way. We really enjoyed one another.


As I reflected on today's Feast and on the readings from Mass, I thanked God for the gift of the family in which I was raised and for the family which I am now raising. It is with these people that I am journeying to heaven. We are very far from perfect. It's really hard sometimes. It's really great a lot of times. I love these people with a love that is fierce and deep and true. They are my best friends and they make me a better person by loving me and challenging me.


It's funny. After college I entered the convent. I thought I was going to spend my life living with a bunch of old ladies and being very holy. But God had other plans. Now I live with three boys. I pray more and am challenged to love more than I probably ever would have been in the convent. The path of holiness is different for each of us, but it is never a solo mission.


Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment