Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Weekend of Inspiration and Celebration

Throughout this past Pentecost weekend, I really felt the presence, passion, and prodding of the Holy Spirit in several ways. In the midst of the post-vacation settling-in process (which of course involved laundry and mowing and grocery shopping and all that fun stuff), there were some special events that touched my heart and drew me closer to God.

On Saturday I had the privilege of attending the Dayton Catholic Homeschool Conference. It was nice to get away for the day, to spend time with some good friends, and to be encouraged in my vocation as homeschooling mom. I was so excited to meet and listen to Danielle Bean (Check out Faith and Family magazine and faithandfamilylive.com if you don't know who she is.) Her talk was great. She focused on several very simple truths that we all need to remember. Why is it that such simple things can often strike us so profoundly? Some of her points about which I have been pondering and praying:

"When you keep score, you always lose."
God wants us to discern and act in relationship with HIM, not in comparison to others.

"Our most successful days are not usually the days when we check everything off the list."
Our biggest goal is "GTHBYB" - "Get to heaven. Bring your brother."
At the end of the day, did I get myself and my family closer to this goal?

"Remember: GOD is in charge!"
Our children are not our projects. They belong to God. We are to take care of them for Him and give them back to Him. When we give the worry and responsibility to God, He gives us peace.

"Faith comes first."
We are starving if we don't have Christ at the center of our lives. Ask God to show you where He wants to come closer to you.

I have found the Holy Spirit reminding me of these things all week. It is such a challenge for me to let go of worry and checklists and comparisons. I know that I am being drawn more closely to prayer.... to fixing my gaze on God and opening up my heart and my ears to Him in a more intense way than I've experienced in a long time. Challenges from others and from within myself have pulled my attention away and left me feeling insecure and afraid, especially when it comes to parenting. But I feel God's presence calming and empowering me in new ways. Sometimes it takes feelings of insecurity, being hurt, or being burnt out for me to re-focus on what's important and put my trust back in God again.

On Sunday we celebrated Pentecost by wearing red to Mass, making a "Gifts of the Holy Spirit Windsock" (inspired by Jessica at "Shower of Roses"), and having a special dinner of chicken parmesan and red velvet cupcakes. We sang "Happy Birthday" to the Church. We took down the Easter decorations and decorated our prayer table with a red cloth and lots of candles. It was interesting and fun to talk with the boys about the Holy Spirit. They definitely have an understanding and appreciation for God dwelling within them and empowering them. I was impressed that they remembered quite a bit about the Gifts of the Holy Spirit from their Catechesis of the Good Shepherd classes. They enjoyed discussing the dove, wind, and fire as images of the Holy Spirit. And I think the Holy Spirit must have played a big role in helping them behave so well in Mass too!
Sunday afternoon we had great fun attending a "Cat Chat" concert at a local church. We have listened to "Cat Chat" cd's and enjoyed them. (They are stories and songs about the faith and the liturgical year.) The show was put on by the family who makes the cd's. It included a giant talking cat (or a guy in a cat suit if you're a literal-thinking person like Jon), a guy playing a guitar, and several children singing/dancing/playing instruments/riding unicycles/juggling. Ray loved singing along and doing the motions. Adam cracked up at the antics of the cat. We all enjoyed an afternoon of praise and worship with so many of our friends. It seemed like a perfect celebration for Pentecost!





During last week's vacation and this weekend's happenings I have had moments of deep peace and joy that I know have come from the Holy Spirit. I have also felt "tapped on the shoulder" by Him, as He has reminded me (through Danielle and others) of some simple truths I had forgotten. I have been drawn more deeply into prayer and have even received some surprisingly direct "answers" to some issues I've been praying about for a long time. I am renewed in my devotion and so thankful for God's powerful, faithful love.

Thank you Jesus for sending the Gift of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost and again and again in our lives! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment