Sunday, June 13, 2010

Backyard Activities

Last week I had one of those brilliant mom triumphs..... one of those moments when a simple idea bought me more than two minutes of time to sit down, read a book, and breathe while the children happily and creatively played together. It was magical.


The boys were playing in the backyard, but beginning to pester each other and whine about everything. Inspired by some saint or angel or other heavenly being (it truly wasn't my own brilliant idea), I walked in the house and pulled out a package of pipe cleaners (called chenille stems these days I guess). I split them in two, handed each boy his share, grabbed my book, and sat down on the porch.

Wonder of wonders.... they were enthralled by all of the possibilities. All I can say is that whatever money was spent on those pipe cleaners (I think my sister-in-law actually gave them to me) was WELL-SPENT MONEY! Pipe cleaners were twisted around every possible crevice on the swing set. THEN, they became art as they decorated our fence. Adam made a bunch of "caterpillars" on the gate.

Ray made a sculpture on the fence.

They even decorated the fence behind the garden in an effort to attract the bees! (There's some Science for the day!)

Those pipe cleaners have survived several days and several rain showers and they're still being played with in the back yard. My niece came over yesterday and made some very cute pictures with them on the fence!

So, I just thought I'd share that little trick that worked for me. Our neighbors probably think we're totally crazy, but I don't care. I think maybe I'll try teaching the boys to weave some ribbons or streamers through the fence on some other boring summer day. A friend also suggested we put Dixie or Solo cups in the fence in interesting patterns. Who knew our fence could provide such entertainment!

Some other simple activities that keep little ones busy in the yard:

"Painting" with water (the sidewalk, the house...)

Collecting bugs in a jar

Having a "car wash" (if not washing the real car, then scrubbing all of the yard toys with soap and water - This one keeps my boys busy for an entire afternoon)

I think my dad used to pay us per dandelion for every weed we dug out of the yard

Peanut hunt (or any other kind of hunt.... I've been known to get out the plastic Easter eggs at any time of the year... they enjoying hiding them as much as finding them)

Book picnic (Spread out a blanket and bring out a basket of books to read together)

Bubbles (of course)

For a Halloween party I once spray-painted a giant spider web on the grass. We played several games on it. I'm thinking of doing a maze at some point.

Chalk isn't just for sidewalks. Our boys use it on the wooden swing set all the time. It washes right off in the rain or with the hose or course.

Running in the sprinkler

Scavenger hunt

Painting rocks... or just bringing the easel outside and doing some painting on it

OK... that's all I can think of for now. Do you have any ideas? Please comment and share! We all need some "tricks" in our pockets to keep our children active and happy outside this Summer season!


No comments:

Post a Comment