Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Insect-Mania

Thanks to my dad and Mary, the boys had a great time learning all about insects during the week before we officially started school. It is awesome that they were able to complete one of their science units before our regular studies began (and with very little work from me). They've been doing daily insect searches in the yard and teaching me lots of things I never knew about insects. And they won't let me call them "bugs." I have to use the proper terminology for those creepy crawly critters and call them "insects."

Each boy has a binder full of entomological studies!
They completed a ton of work and there are more bonus activities for the future as well.



Hunting for insects

Studying the insect specimens


Extending the hunt to a local park



 I was not here for most of these lessons. When I saw the following pictures I laughed out loud.

Metamorphosis 








That's one way to do it! ;) They loved that lesson.


Tasting honey and checking out some real honeycomb
Little "ants" following the trail to some treats

 Thanks so much Dad and Mary! The boys learned a lot and had fun. And I got to check the bug unit off my list without actually having to touch any creepy crawly critters!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment