Saturday, April 21, 2012

Further Proof of my Insanity

Just a few random things from my week that probably further proof my insanity.

1. I took the boys on a field trip to a whistle factory. The American Whistle Factory is located here in Central Ohio. It's the only metal whistle factory in the USA. It's small, but pretty neat to see. The boys loved the tour, which was organized by another mom in our homeschool group. They love seeing machines work. (Sidenote.... check out the show "How It's Made" on the Science Network. We're loving these glimpses into some super-cool factories.)


Now, here's the insane part.... Each boy got his own whistle to take home. Yep, that's right. Metal whistles. In the van. In the house. In the yard. I'm sure my neighbors are less than thrilled. If you call me and I don't answer, it's probably because my hearing has been permanently impaired by the whistles.

2. Papier-mache. Really, that's all I should have to say for this one.... but here's the story: I decided that all kindergarten and first graders should have the experience of doing papier-mache. We're reviewing some geography and preparing for Earth Day, so it would be really cool to make our own globes, right? It was a beautiful day on Wednesday. I gathered all the papier-mache supplies and set them up on a table in the back yard. I showed the boys how to dip the newspaper strips into the flour and water mixture and place them on their balloons.

Note that there are no pictures of this process.... It was simply too messy for any of us to touch the camera!

The boys followed my lead for about 2.5 minutes before they decided that this was just too yucky and time consuming. They globbed bunches of paper on their balloons and ran inside to wash their hands. I, determined to make this project a success, spent the next hour "fixing" and finishing their balloons and my own. I got one layer of paper on pretty perfectly. I put them in the sun to dry.

Here they are.... my masterpieces!
Well, that's the last look you're going to get at "our" papier-mache project. A few hours later the boys went back outside and decided to "just gently kick them around the yard a very little bit." I should have taken a picture of the mangled "masterpieces".... but I was too mad. Project over.

I spent a few days considering whether or not to try it again.... but decided that papier-mache is NOT something kindergarteners and first graders need to know. Maybe 3rd and 4th graders?

3. Giant heavy big long tube ----


... balancing on the fence. Sometimes I wonder what my neighbors must witness and think.

When we got our kitchen floor replaced, the new vinyl came on this giant tube. I asked if I could keep it. Surely I'll find some great use for it, right? (Now is when my sisters accuse me of being a hoarder.) When I cleaned out the garage this week, this had to go. The boys carried it to the back yard and had great adventures with it, including propping it on the swing set clubhouse and rolling balls and cars through it to the ground. For a few days balanced on our fence. I finally had Jon cut it in half so we can store it somewhere until I find its great purpose.

So, if you've been wondering what I've been up to, there you have it. The insane adventures of a quirky homeschool mom. If you need a (used) whistle, want to teach my kids papier-mache, or have a great idea for using the giant cardboard tubes.... let me know.

2 comments:

  1. I missed the whistle tour this time around (the verdict is out on whether or not that was a good thing).

    Your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! This post made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete