Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lent 2013

Did you think I gave up blogging for Lent?

I didn't. Life is just busy... and so many posts swirl around in my head at night as I'm trying to sleep.

Lent really snuck up on me this year. Last week was so unusual with Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday, Valentine's Day.... such a whirlwind of feasting and fasting and celebrating and praying. And add to all that the shocking announcement of the Pope's retirement! So much to process and do, but no time to blog about it.

But here we are... almost a full week into the holy season of Lent.






 
For the first time, we decided to make a Lenten sacrifice together as a family. All four of us gave up chocolate.  This is the first year that the boys have really embraced the idea of this kind of sacrifice. We've had some really interesting conversations about it and they've been pretty good about it so far. Of course, Jon had already ordered a big box of valentine chocolates for us... so we did indulge on Sunday a bit.





The boys and I made these awesome Lent lapbooks (a Pinterest idea of course).



The contents (left to right): A prayer list for special intentions, a pocket to store Stations of the Cross cards, a Lenten path (from Catholic Icing) to color each day, a place to record Lenten sacrifices, and a crown of thorns they can color as they make small sacrifices throughout Lent.

I am embarrassed to admit that I have not read our Lenten reflection books or set up our Lenten tree branch! So, with renewed resolve I am going to go get those things pulled together and ready for tomorrow... right NOW!

May you all have a holy, fruitful Lent.





No comments:

Post a Comment