Monday, May 16, 2011

Thankful

For some reason I'm still awake... 11:30 on Sunday night... listening to peaceful snores.... my mind still full of thoughts and not ready to succumb to the sleep that will give way to the beginning of another week.

The past week was one of those up and down sort of weeks for me.

I rejoiced with my dear friends who gave birth to their third child, a beautiful baby girl whom Jon and I will be privileged to companion as Godparents. I relished every second of holding that sweet new gift from God.

I felt like I was fighting a war with my children all week about schoolwork. They are mentally done. Ever since Easter break and the change in weather, they want to be outside all the time. The quality of their work has regressed. However, I still have several things I want to cover and do with them. I don't feel comfortable just stopping school at this point. So, I pushed them along as best as I could. We did, however, really enjoy the good weather - FINALLY! Every morning we did some schoolwork and then headed down to the park for a 40 minute recess. They rode bikes and played and I walked.

That's right, I EXERCISED every day this week. And what a difference it has made. I have spent months feeling out of sorts and out of control when it comes to my body and my weight. I finally took a deep breath and signed up for Weight Watchers Online. After the first week I already feel so much better and am happy about the results I am seeing. It's just good to finally be doing SOMETHING. I will post more on this soon. But in the meantime please pray for me and the changes I am trying to make in my life. And if you are interested in joining me on this adventure, let me know! I really want friends and support for this process. (Giving up the Diet Coke a few months ago was a good first start for me. Posting about it here really helped keep me accountable. Hopefully I will have the same success with this endeavor. Thanks for your prayers and support!)

At one point this week Adam told my mom that I have been "a great big blob of grumpy." That was definitely true on Wednesday. I'm sure that several factors contributed to my mood: the HEAT (We refused to turn on our air conditioning.... it was 84 degrees in the house.), the new diet (although I really felt more motivated than deprived), hormones, the ongoing battles with the boys about schoolwork and listening and chores and video games, the never-ending laundry, dishes...... I really was a bit of a mess. But I felt so loved by the boys and especially by Jon as they put up with me and helped me through it. Amazingly, that night I received a whole series of phone calls that lifted my spirits.... especially one from my dear far-away friend who just always seems to know when I need to talk. (Thanks Sus - love you!)

I also found great inspiration in a few blog posts.  Kate Wicker recounted her own "horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day" and I was touched by her ability to have a grateful heart in the midst of some crazy momma sagas. She included a link to another really great post at Conversion Diary called "Life doesn't have to be easy to be joyful." I was reminded that God is with me in ALL OF THIS and that THIS IS RIGHT WHERE I WANT TO BE. I took a deep breath and felt the joy that is in my soul... even when I'm out of sorts and/or not "happy." I was brought back to that place of gratitude that brings me to my knees.

And so, as this new week begins I place my whole being at the feet of the Lord. I ask him for grace and strength.... and mostly patience with myself and the boys. Many of our classes and activities are finished for the year. I want to end our studies happily. I want to transition to a slower pace. To enjoy our days together. To be gentle with myself and with them. To keep my goals and their needs in proper perspective.

And finally... as I yawn and look at the clock.... I have to show you this:



A work of art! Jon replaced the knob on the door that leads to our garage. Now the boys can open it themselves. This may seem like a little thing, but it will make my life easier every single time we get ready to leave and every single time we come home. It's those little things that can make a big difference in the flow of the day.

May God bless you in all of your comings and goings this week and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment